Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Friendly Spam?

There is nothing more annoying than checking your email only to find the majority of new messages in your Inbox are forwarded spam messages from your "so called" friends and family! Do they actually think that if they forward that "laughing cat" email that they will receive good luck for the rest of their lives? I mean, come on!

NetM@nners.com has some great advice for those who are new to the email/internet game, but I think we should all raise our right hands and repeat the following out lout.

"'1. I will not forward any dumb joke, "chain letter" or unimportant e-mails to my friends without their permission.""I will not forward any dumb joke, "chain letter" or unimportant e-mails to my friends without their permission.'"

"'2. I understand that by doing so I may fill up their in box, use other's resources unnecessarily and may cause other important e-mail to bounce.""I understand that by doing so I may fill up their in box, use other's resources unnecessarily and may cause other important e-mail to bounce.'"

"'3. I understand that most folks have seen these e-mails a million times and find them annoying.""I understand that most folks have seen these e-mails a million times and find them annoying.'"

"'4. I know that by forwarding these so-called humorous e-mails I may offend or tick off people who do not share my sense of humor or who are sick of having stupid e-mails forwarded to them each time a Newbie hops online.""I know that by forwarding these so-called humorous e-mails I may offend or tick off people who do not share my sense of humor or who are sick of having stupid e-mails forwarded to them each time a Newbie hops online.'"

"There! Now, that wasn't too bad was it? ;-) You will no longer be tempted to forward those jokes, untruthful or frivolous e-mail that instruct you to forward to your friends! And, you will avoid looking silly and uninformed in the process. Read them if you must then hit delete. You really don't believe e-mail that state certain things will happen simply by you forwarding the e-mail to 10 friends do you? Talk about a waste of resources!!"

"In addition, many of these e-mails are actually hoaxes or downright bogus. Before you forward an e-mail that appears good intentioned with an incredible story that instructs you to "read and share" with everyone you know, first check Snopes.com to see if the story is even legit in the first place and not a hoax. Not doing so can have you eating crow when everyone you e-mail is informed you just forwarded a hoax and didn't know any better. And, don't get mad at someone if they point out to you that you were uninformed by perpetuating a hoax! If you don't know for a fact that the e-mail you are forwarding is accurate and specifically apropos to the person you are forwarding to and you know they will want to receive it - all you have to do is ask first."

"One of the common requests I receive through this site is from folks wanting to know a 'nice way' of telling someone they care about to stop sending joke, hoax and chain e-mails without hurting their feelings. Speaking for those who know you, we have seen those e-mails before, many times - cut us a break - verify them before you send them to us or just hit delete!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get really annoyed when I receive e-mails saying that I must send the message to "X" number of people and I will have good luck (get rich, etc.) or if I don't I will have bad luck for the rest of my life. Get real.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Who wants an inbox filled with a bunch of crap you don't have time to read anyway!